FLEGT Week 2015: Closing plenary, the Report
FLEGT Week 2015 was a unique opportunity to reflect on the full scope of the EU FLEGT Action Plan, including but not limited to VPAs and the EU Timber Regulation, learn from the achievements and challenges, and discuss technical aspects of FLEGT. It took place on 16-19 March in Brussels.
Below you will see the highlights of the closing plenary, that took place Thursday 19 March, from 11:15 to 12:30.
- FLEGT Week brought together nearly 300 participants from more than 50 countries.
- Participants reviewed progress that has been made through the EU FLEGT Action Plan and made clear recommendations for the future of the fight against illegal logging
- What was an EU initiative is now a global alliance
- FLEGT cannot address all challenges
- Private sector is generally supportive of VPAs but more attention is needed on SMEs
- More effective implementation of the EU FLEGT Action Plan and great coordination with related initiatives in other markets is needed
- VPA partner countries close to FLEGT licensing asked for support for marketing in consumer countries
- Speakers from civil society called for a new Action Plan that addresses the wider challenges of deforestation
Closing speech Neven Mimica, European Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development
Moderator Roberto Ridolfi, European Commission
- Andy Roby, Forest advisor
- Raphael Yeboah, Forestry Commission of Ghana
- US Congressman Earl Blumenauer
- Matthias Schwoerer, Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture of Germany
- Agus Sarsito, Center for Forestry Standardisation and Environment
- Ralph Ridder, ATIBT
- Saskia Ozinga, FERN
Reporter Mike Shanahan