All about the Vietnam-EU Voluntary Partnership Agreement
About 45% of Vietnam's land area is forested, and the country has a key role in processing in the timber sector in Southeast Asia. Vietnam imports timber from some 80 countries – in recent years main suppliers have included Cambodia, Laos, China, the US and Malaysia. Domestic plantation timber is increasingly used in the production of timber products and for the export of woodchip. Vietnam’s wooden furniture exports mainly target environmentally conscious markets in the EU, the US and Japan.
The Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) between the EU and Vietnam entered into force in June 2019. Vietnam is now working on regulations needed to implement the country's timber legality assurance system.
- South-east Asian countries share progress to tackle illegal logging and its associated trade 20.01.2020
- Briefing note provides new insights on small and micro-sized entities in the Mekong forestry sector 27.06.2019
- Responsible trade in tropical timber: exporting and importing countries explain the actions they are taking 21.06.2019
- EU and Vietnam ratify agreement on illegal logging and trade in legal timber 13.05.2019
- Call for tender: VPA Facilitator for Vietnam 18.02.2019