About 45% of Vietnam's land area is forested, and the country has a key role in processing in the timber sector in Southeast Asia. Vietnam imports timber from some 80 countries – in recent years main suppliers have included Cambodia, Laos, China, USA and Malaysia. Domestic plantation timber is increasingly used in the production of timber products and for the export of woodchip. Vietnam’s wooden furniture exports mainly target environmentally conscious markets in the EU, the US and Japan.
Vietnam is negotiating a VPA with the EU.
Voluntary Partnership Agreement status
29 November 2010
News from Vietnam
- Call for tender: VPA joint implementation coordinator 13.02.2017
- Call for tender: National Forest and Timber Sector Specialist Vietnam 24.01.2017
- Southeast Asia marks progress in combating illegal timber trade 04.01.2017
- Vietnam and the EU agree in principle on FLEGT VPA 18.11.2016
- Vietnam and the EU break new ground at sixth VPA negotiation session 11.05.2016