About 37% of Thailand's land area is forested, and most of the country's remaining natural forests are now protected. The country's timber comes from plantation forests or is imported from other countries, especially Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar.
Thailand is a regional manufacturing hub for wood products. It is also the world's largest producer of rubberwood products from plantations, supplying Thailand's particleboard and furniture industry. The country is a major supplier of wood furniture and other timber products to leading consumer markets including China, the EU, Japan and the US.
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment is the lead ministry in the VPA negotiations with the EU. Both parties to the negotiations announced the official beginning of negotiations on 11 September 2013.
For more information, visit the Thai FLEGT secretariat website.
Voluntary Partnership Agreement status
11 September 2013
News from Thailand
Visit the Thailand media room to keep up to date
- EU and Thailand hold first talks on forest governance and legal timber trade deal 05.07.2017
- Call for tender: National Forest and Timber Sector Specialist Thailand 09.02.2017
- Southeast Asia marks progress in combating illegal timber trade 04.01.2017
- Call for tender: National FLEGT Expert to Thailand 23.12.2016
- Stakeholders explore options for improving legal compliance and enforcement related to forest conversion in Mekong countries 10.10.2014
- Stakeholders from Mekong countries discuss ideas for forest governance curriculum 13.01.2014
- Thailand sets up new institutions to manage the VPA process 09.12.2013
- Regional Workshop on Capacity Building Needs to Support Forest Law Enforcement Governance and Trade (FLEGT) in Asia 27.09.2013
- Thailand and EU announce the start of VPA negotiations 13.09.2013
- Preparations continue for the first round of VPA negotiations in Thailand 26.08.2013
- Thailand to start VPA negotiations with the EU 14.05.2013
- Thailand formally requests VPA negotiations with the EU 01.04.2013
- Study on Timber Flows and their control in Thailand published 09.10.2012
- Stakeholder Mapping Workshop held in Thailand 07.09.2012
- Thai government puts forest rehabilitation and preservation on national agenda 06.03.2012
- Timber Trade Flow Maps of China and the Mekong Region 27.07.2011
- Joint press release by Thailand and the EU on the first session of VPA negotiations, 30 June 2017 [PDF]
- Joint press release by Thailand and the EU on the official launch of VPA negotiations, 11 September 2013 [PDF]
- Baseline study, Thailand: Overview of Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (EN TH)
- Study on Timber Flows and their control in Thailand (EN TH)