All about the Vietnam-EU Voluntary Partnership Agreement
About 45% of Vietnam's land area is forested, and the country has a key role in processing in the timber sector in Southeast Asia. Vietnam imports timber from some 80 countries – in recent years main suppliers have included Cambodia, Laos, China, USA and Malaysia. Domestic plantation timber is increasingly used in the production of timber products and for the export of woodchip. Vietnam’s wooden furniture exports mainly target environmentally conscious markets in the EU, the US and Japan.
Vietnam and the EU signed their Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) in October 2018, and are now following their internal procedures for ratifying the agreement.
- Two assessments inform progress on EU-Lao PDR VPA negotiation 27.11.2018
- Vietnamese NGOs welcome VPA signing 02.11.2018
- EU and Vietnam sign VPA to combat illegal logging and promote legal timber trade 19.10.2018
- Vietnam’s VPA implementation progresses as stakeholders meet 04.05.2018
- EU and Vietnam conclude VPA negotiations 12.05.2017