Republic of the Congo
Forests cover around 65% of the area of the Republic of the Congo, and forest is the country's second most valuable natural resource after oil. Around 3.5 million hectares of forest has been set aside as protected zones, and another 19 million hectares is intended for timber production. Congo's main markets for timber exports are the EU and China.
Congo has ratified a VPA with the EU.
Congo is developing the systems needed to control, verify and license legal timber. It will use these systems to cover timber and timber products exported not only to the EU, but also to other destinations worldwide. The systems will also apply to timber and timber products sold within Congo.
For more information, visit the Congo FLEGT VPA website.
Voluntary Partnership Agreement status
- VPA entry into force: 1 March 2013
- VPA ratified: 19 February 2013
- VPA signed: 17 May 2010
- VPA agreed: 9 May 2009
- Negotiations started: June 2008
News from the Republic of the Congo
Visit the Republic of the Congo media room to keep up to date.
- Republic of the Congo and the EU release 2016 annual report on VPA progress 28.07.2017
- EU and Congo assess progress towards timber legality verification and other VPA goals 01.06.2017
- Briefing: Timber trade flows and investments between China and VPA countries 04.04.2017
- Republic of the Congo and the EU release 2015 annual report on VPA progress 22.11.2016
- Republic of the Congo and EU take stock of progress in VPA implementation 30.06.2016
- The Republic of the Congo and the EU review progress towards VPA implementation 14.12.2015
- Republic of the Congo and the EU release biannual report on VPA progress in 2013-2014 09.11.2015
- Republic of the Congo and the EU advance on VPA implementation 22.05.2015
- Stakeholders in Republic of the Congo develop online tool for public monitoring of FLEGT legality indicators 20.10.2014
- Republic of the Congo makes forest sector information public 23.06.2014
- VPA practitioners from central Africa share their achievements in public information in the forest sector 18.06.2014
- Congo changes web address for VPA website 22.04.2014
- Congolese forestry ministry officials continue coordination meetings with officials from other departments 09.10.2013
- EU programme used to offer regional support of VPAs in Africa 10.05.2013
- Joint Implementation Committee agrees on work plans for implementing the VPA in Congo 02.05.2013
- The Republic of Congo and the EU completed the ratification of the Voluntary Partnership Agreement 06.03.2013
- EU concludes deal with Republic of Congo to trade only in legal timber 09.05.2009
- Republic of the Congo-EU VPA text and annexes
- Rapport annuel conjoint 2016 sur la mise en œuvre de l’APV FLEGT en République du Congo
- Rapport annuel conjoint 2015 sur la mise en œuvre de l’APV FLEGT en République du Congo
- Rapport biennal conjoint 2013-2014 sur la mise en œuvre de l’APV FLEGT en République du Congo (EN ES)
- Minutes from the sixth Joint Implementation Committee meeting. 2017 [PDF in French]
- Minutes from the fifth Joint Implementation Committee meeting. 2016 [PDF in French]
- Minutes from the forth Joint Implementation Committee meeting. 2016 [PDF in French]
- Minutes from the second Joint Implementation Committee meeting. 2015 [PDF in French]
- Minutes from the first Joint Implementation Committee meeting. 2013 [PDF in French]
- Briefing note, June 2010 (EN ES FR)