FLEGT Factsheet: Closing the EU market to illegal timber

 

References

  • Some 1.6 billion people – more than 20% of the global population – depend on forests for food and livelihoods. Source: FAO, 2015 and UN World Population Prospects, 2017
  • Half of all species on the planet live in forests. Source: Rainforest Foundation
  • Forests regulate water supplies and climate, are the source of many medicines, and help prevent floods and droughts. Source: European Environment Agency, 2015
  • The EU is a large market for timber products, importing EUR 18.17 billion worth of wood products in 2017. Of this total, products worth EUR 3.78 billion came from tropical countries. Source: ITTO / IMM, 2017
  • Illegal trade of timber is worth USD 51-152 billion annually – or 15-30% of the global timber trade. Source: INTERPOL, 2017
  • The 15 countries negotiating or implementing FLEGT agreements with the EU account for 80% of the global tropical timber trade. Source: IMM, 2016 
  • Indonesia’s share of total EU tropical wood imports increased from 15.7% to 16.6% in the first 6 months of 2018. Source: ITTO report, September 2018 
  • Of the EUR 3.78 billion of tropical wood products imported into the EU in 2017, 21% were FLEGT-licensed products from Indonesia and 54% came from the 14 countries implementing or negotiating a bilateral trade agreement on FLEGT with the EU. Source: IMM / Eurostat, 2018
  • Note: Of the EUR 3.78 billion of tropical wood products imported into the EU in 2017, 45% came from the nine tropical countries involved in negotiating a bilateral trade agreement on FLEGT (Côte d'Ivoire, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Guyana, Honduras, Laos, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam) and 9% came from the five African countries that are implementing a bilateral trade agreement on FLEGT (Cameroon, Central African Republic, Ghana, Liberia and the Republic of the Congo). Together, this is 54% of came from the 14 countries implementing or negotiating a bilateral trade agreement on FLEGT with the EU