FLEGT Week 2015: Opening plenary and policy discussion, the Report
FLEGT Week 2015 was a unique opportunity to reflect on the full scope of the EU FLEGT Action Plan, including but not limited to VPAs and the EU Timber Regulation, learn from the achievements and challenges, and discuss technical aspects of FLEGT. It took place on 16-19 March in Brussels.
Below you will see the highlights of the opening plenary and policy discussion. Read the full report on the FLEGT Week website. This features the full story, videos from Penny Davies key speech, photos, link to the presentation, key information as well as a photo slideshow that features speakers and participants.
- FLEGT Week opened with a policy discussion at which stakeholders from governments, private sector and civil society examined the past, present and future of FLEGT
- The debate focused on the pace of progress, continued challenges, evidence of impacts and on how to ensure the enduring relevance of FLEGT in a rapidly changing world.
- There was broad support for FLEGT and an appetite for it to evolve to address challenges in implementation and match the changes that have taken place since the Action Plan was created
Moderator James Astill, The Economist
Opening remarks Karl Falkenberg, Director-General of the Directorate-General Environment, European Commission
Master of ceremonies Bernard Crabbé, Head – Forest Sector, Directorate-General Development Cooperation, European Commission
Keynote speaker Penny Davies, Program Officer, Ford Foundation
- Roberto Ridolfi, Director for Sustainable Development and Growth, Directorate-General Development Cooperation, European Commission
- Yannick Jadot, Member of the European Parliament
- Sue Unsworth, Principal, The Policy Practice
- Harrison Karnwea, Director, Forest Development Authority, Liberia
- Lisa Ann Elges, Leader of the Climate Finance Integrity Program, Transparency International
- Katarina Maaskant, Head of Public Affairs, IKEA
- Hans-Joachim Danzer, Director, Danzer Group