Almost 60% of Malaysia's land area is forested. Timber is an important export product and a significant contributor to the country's economy. The EU is one of Malaysia's top three export markets for timber products. Malaysia also has many regional timber trading partners, including importers in China, Indonesia and Japan.
Malaysia was one of the first countries to begin negotiating a VPA with the EU. Negotiations are ongoing.
For more information, visit the Malaysia FLEGT VPA website.
Voluntary Partnership Agreement status
News from Malaysia
- Malaysia and EU advance VPA process 23.05.2014
- Workshop explores synergies between FLEGT VPAs and forest certification schemes 25.11.2013
- 5th Joint Experts Meeting held in Malaysia 18.03.2013
- 4th Joint Expert Meeting held in Malaysia 01.02.2013
- Report on forest and forest-related stakeholder consultations in Malaysia published 30.05.2012
Press release by Malaysia and the European Union, 19 January 2006