Liberia contains more than half the entire rainforest remaining in West Africa. About 45% of the country, 4.3 million hectares, is covered by forest.
During Liberia's civil war in the 1990s and early 2000s, timber revenues were misappropriated and used to sustain the conflict. In 2003, the UN Security Council imposed sanctions on timber exports from Liberia. These sanctions were lifted in 2006 following the country's efforts to reform the forest sector. These efforts included a comprehensive review of the regulatory framework and the development of a national timber traceability system, called LiberFor, to track timber production.
The Liberia-EU VPA entered into force on 1 December 2013 and Liberia is currently developing the systems needed to control, verify and license legal timber.
Liberia is developing the systems needed to control, verify and license legal timber. It will use these systems for timber and timber products exported to not only to the EU, but also to other destinations worldwide. The systems will also apply to timber and timber products sold within Liberia.
Voluntary Partnership Agreement status
- VPA entry into force: 1 December 2013
- VPA ratified: 1 December 2013
- VPA signed: 11 July 2011
- VPA agreed: 9 May 2011
- Negotiations started: March 2009
Stories from Liberia
News from Liberia
Visit the Liberia media room to keep up to date.
- EU and Liberia aim to intensify VPA implementation 05.05.2017
- Briefing: Timber trade flows and investments between China and VPA countries 04.04.2017
- Liberia and EU recognise progress and agree to strengthen VPA implementation 05.10.2016
- Tender: Efficiency of the FLEGT licensing scheme 26.04.2016
- Liberia and EU review progress in VPA implementation 01.02.2016
- Liberia and the EU release 2014 report on VPA progress 28.01.2016
- Liberia and the EU review progress in VPA implementation 01.07.2015
- Liberia and EU review VPA implementation in the first Joint Implementation Committee meeting 11.06.2014
- VPA between Liberia and EU comes into force 11.12.2013
- Liberia and the EU report VPA progress 03.12.2013
- Liberia welcomes service providers to help with VPA implementation 18.10.2013
- Lessons learned from Liberia's timber tracking system 05.03.2013
- Liberia develops forestry regulations and schedules parliamentary session on VPA ratification 07.12.2012
- European Union ratifies bilateral Liberia–EU VPA 18.05.2012
- Ratification of the EU-Liberia VPA underway 05.04.2012
- EU-Liberia VPA signed 26.07.2011
- EU-Liberia announce VPA to ensure legal timber exports to European markets 10.05.2011
- Liberia and the EU in the run-up to concluding a timber trade agreement 21.03.2011
- EuropeAid call for proposals in Liberia launched 20.01.2011
- Aide-mémoire from the 5th Joint Implementation Committee meeting (April 2017) [PDF]
- Liberia-EU VPA text and annexes [PDF]
- Aide-mémoire from the 4th Joint Implementation Committee meeting (September 2016) [website]
- Presentations of the 4th JIC technical sessions [download]
- Aide-mémoire from the 3rd Joint Implementation Committee meeting (January 2016) [website]
- Aide-mémoire from the 2nd Joint Implementation Committee meeting (June 2015) [website]
- Aide-mémoire from the 1st Joint Implementation Committee meeting (March 2014) [website]
- Annual report: Liberia and the EU Joint Annual report 2014 (FR ES)
- Annual report: Liberia and the EU. Moving Towards VPA implementation. Annual progress report 2011-2012.
- Press release: Liberia and EU review progress under legal timber trade agreement, January 2016