Indonesia covers about 181.2 million hectares, spread over 17,000 islands. About 70% of its land area is categorised as forested, with half allocated for production purposes. A significant proportion of the country’s forest area is degraded and/or destined for conversion.
Indonesia is one of the world's largest exporters of tropical timber products, which are produced from logging activities in natural forests, industrial plantations and household-managed small-scale plantings, as well as from imported timber. Indonesia exports a wide variety of timber products, ranging from plywood, pulp and paper to furniture and handicrafts. The value of this trade was US$ 9.3 billion in 2016.
The main export markets are in Asia (China, Japan and South Korea). Indonesia is also by far the biggest VPA-country trade partner of the EU, exporting timber products worth just over one billion euros in 2016.
In 2003, Indonesia started to develop an operator-based timber control system for all its timber exports, building on a mandatory third-party certification approach for legality and sustainability. The system, called SVLK, became the basis for the timber legality assurance system under Indonesia’s Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) with the EU. The VPA covers all exports, and its coverage will expand to include the domestic market on a stepwise basis.
On 15 November 2016 Indonesia began issuing FLEGT licences to verified legal timber products exported to the EU. In the first 11 months of licensing, Indonesia issued more than 35,000 FLEGT licences for shipments exported to the 28 EU Member States.
Voluntary Partnership Agreement status
- FLEGT licencing started: 15 November 2016
- VPA entry into force: 1 May 2014
- VPA ratified: April 2014
- VPA signed: 30 September 2013
- VPA agreed: 4 May 2011
- Negotiations started: March 2007
Stories from Indonesia
News from Indonesia
Visit the Indonesia media room to keep up to date
- Indonesia and the EU release 2016 annual report on VPA progress 14.12.2017
- Ghana visits Indonesia to learn FLEGT licensing lessons 14.12.2017
- Indonesia shipped verified legal timber worth more than 1 billion euros to EU in first year of FLEGT licensing 14.12.2017
- Indonesia and EU celebrate one year of certified legal timber trade 30.11.2017
- Call for tender: National FLEGT Expert for Indonesia 26.10.2017
- Annual report May 2015-December 2016: Implementing the Indonesia – EU FLEGT Voluntary Partnership Agreement [PDF English] [PDF Bahasa Indonesia]
- Voluntary Partnership Agreement between the European Union and the Republic of Indonesia
- Annual report progress update April 2015-May 2016: Implementing the Indonesia – EU FLEGT Voluntary Partnership Agreement [PDF English]
- Annual report May 2014-April 2015: Implementing the Indonesia – EU FLEGT Voluntary Partnership Agreement [PDF English] [PDF Bahasa Indonesia] [PDF Spanish] [PDF French]
- Joint report: Implementing the Indonesia – EU FLEGT Voluntary Partnership Agreement 2014-2015 (ID)
- Summary of Indonesia-EU Action Plan on the Advancement of VPA Implementation, July 2015
- Summary of Indonesia-EU Action Plan on the Advancement of VPA Implementation, March 2015
- Record of Discussion of the third Joint Implementation Committee, 8 July 2015
- Record of Discussion of the second Joint Implementation Committee, 12 February 2015
- Record of discussion of the first Joint Implementation Committee, 24 September 2014
- Public summary with results of the second stage of the joint assessment of Indonesia's TLAS
- Joint statement by the Republic of Indonesia and the EU, May 2011
- Briefing note, May 2011 (EN IND)
- Baseline study 7, Indonesia: Overview of Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade