Republic of the Congo
All about the Republic of the Congo-EU Voluntary Partnership Agreement
Forests cover around 65% of the Republic of the Congo, and they are the country's most valuable natural resource after oil. Out of the total 21 million hectares, around 14 million hectares are currently dedicated to timber production. Congo's main markets for timber exports are China, South-East Asia and the EU.
Congo has ratified a VPA with the EU and is developing the systems needed to control, verify and license legal timber. It will use these systems to cover timber and timber products exported not only to the EU, but also to other destinations worldwide. The systems will eventually also apply to timber and timber products sold within Congo.
For more information, visit the Congo FLEGT VPA website.
- Ghana and Liberia share timber legality lessons with Laos and the Republic of the Congo 25.01.2019
- La République du Congo et l’UE encouragent le redoublement des efforts dans la mise en œuvre de leur APV 04.12.2019
- The Republic of the Congo and the EU release 2018 annual report on VPA progress 12.12.2019
- L’UE et le Congo reconduisent leurs recommandations de 2018 sur la gouvernance forestière 18.06.2019
- Congo, EU renew their 2018 recommendations on forest governance 18.06.2019