About 45% of Vietnam's land area is forested, and the country has a key role in processing in the timber sector in Southeast Asia. Vietnam imports timber from some 80 countries – in recent years main suppliers have included Cambodia, Laos, China, USA and Malaysia. Domestic plantation timber is increasingly used in the production of timber products and for the export of woodchip. Vietnam’s wooden furniture exports mainly target environmentally conscious markets in the EU, the US and Japan.
In May 2017, Vietnam and the EU marked the end of VPA negotiations by initialling the document, ahead of signing and ratifying it.
Voluntary Partnership Agreement status
- FLEGT licencing started:
- VPA entry into force:
- VPA ratified:
- VPA signed:
- VPA agreed: 11 May 2017
- Negotiations started: 29 November 2010
News from Vietnam
Visit the Vietnam media room to keep up to date.
- Assessing timber processing enterprises’ and the media’s need for information on the VPA in Vietnam 15.10.2014
- Stakeholders explore options for improving legal compliance and enforcement related to forest conversion in Mekong countries 10.10.2014
- Vietnam VPA negotiations: moving forward on TLAS design 14.08.2014
- Civil society organisations share livelihoods impact assessment results of Vietnam’s VPA 14.04.2014
- Stakeholders from Mekong countries discuss ideas for forest governance curriculum 13.01.2014