All about the Vietnam-EU Voluntary Partnership Agreement
About 45% of Vietnam's land area is forested, and the country has a key role in processing in the timber sector in Southeast Asia. Vietnam imports timber from some 80 countries – in recent years main suppliers have included Cambodia, Laos, China, USA and Malaysia. Domestic plantation timber is increasingly used in the production of timber products and for the export of woodchip. Vietnam’s wooden furniture exports mainly target environmentally conscious markets in the EU, the US and Japan.
The Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) between the EU and Vietnam entered into force in June 2019. Vietnam is now working on regulations needed to implement the country's timber legality assurance system.
- EU and Vietnam ratify agreement on illegal logging and trade in legal timber 13.05.2019
- Call for tender: VPA Facilitator for Vietnam 18.02.2019
- Vietnamese NGOs welcome VPA signing 02.11.2018
- EU and Vietnam sign VPA to combat illegal logging and promote legal timber trade 19.10.2018
- Vietnam’s VPA implementation progresses as stakeholders meet 04.05.2018