Republic of the Congo
All about the Republic of the Congo-EU Voluntary Partnership Agreement
Forests cover around 65% of the Republic of the Congo, and they are the country's most valuable natural resource after oil. Out of the total 21 million hectares, around 14 million hectares are currently dedicated to timber production. Congo's main markets for timber exports are China, South-East Asia and the EU.
Congo has ratified a VPA with the EU and is developing the systems needed to control, verify and license legal timber. It will use these systems to cover timber and timber products exported not only to the EU, but also to other destinations worldwide. The systems will eventually also apply to timber and timber products sold within Congo.
For more information, visit the Congo FLEGT VPA website.
- Le Congo et l’Union européenne adoptent les outils de mise en œuvre de leur Accord sur l’exploitation forestière illégale 19.12.2017
- Congo and the EU adopt tools to implement their Agreement on illegal logging 19.12.2017
- Call for tender: Facilitation services for FLEGT VPAs in Ghana, Liberia, Republic of the Congo, Guyana 03.11.2017
- Republic of the Congo and the EU release 2016 annual report on VPA progress 28.07.2017
- EU and Congo assess progress towards timber legality verification and other VPA goals 01.06.2017