Central African Republic
The Central African Republic has around 5.4 million hectares of forest, which is less than 10% of its total land area. However, the forest sector contributes around 4% of GDP and 40% of the country's export earnings. The Central African Republic exports timber to Europe, China and North America and within Africa to Cameroon and Chad.
The Central African Republic has signed a VPA with the EU. The aim of the VPA is to improve forest sector governance by clarifying and simplifying management rules, ensuring increased transparency and use of public information, and respecting the rights of indigenous peoples and local resources.
The Central African Republic is developing the systems needed to control, verify and license legal timber. It will use these systems for timber and timber products exported not only to the EU, but also to other destinations worldwide.
Voluntary Partnership Agreement status
- VPA entry into force: 1 July 2012
- VPA ratified: 1 July 2012
- VPA signed: 28 November 2011
- VPA agreed: 21 December 2010
- Negotiations started: October 2009
News from the Central African Republic
Visit the CAR media room to keep up to date
- EU and Central African Republic assess progress towards restart of support to VPA implementation 10.12.2016
- Central African Republic and the EU release 2012-2014 report on VPA progress 24.05.2016
- EU programme used to offer regional support of VPAs in Africa 10.05.2013
- VPA between CAR and EU signed today 28.11.2011
- The CAR VPA Briefing note available in English 30.09.2011
- Central African Republic-EU VPA text and annexes
- Aide-mémoire from the first Joint Implementation Committee [PDF]
- Aide-mémoire from the second Joint Implementation Committee [PDF]
- Aide-mémoire from the third Joint Implementation Committee [PDF]
- Joint annual report on the implementation of the CAR VPA. Source: CAR and the EU, 2015 [PDF in French]
- Joint annual report on the implementation of the CAR VPA. Source: CAR and the EU, July 2012 to December 2014 [PDF in French]
- Information note on CAR VPA [PDF]