Central African Republic
All about the CAR-EU Voluntary Partnership Agreement
The Central African Republic has around 5.4 million hectares of forest, which is less than 10% of its total land area. However, the forest sector contributes around 4% of GDP and 40% of the country's export earnings. The Central African Republic exports timber to Europe, China and North America and within Africa.
The Central African Republic has signed a VPA with the EU. The aim of the VPA is to improve forest sector governance by clarifying and simplifying management rules, ensuring increased transparency and use of public information, and respecting the rights of indigenous peoples and local resources.
The Central African Republic is developing the systems needed to control, verify and license legal timber. It will use these systems for timber and timber products exported not only to the EU, but also to other destinations worldwide.
- Central African Republic and the EU release 2016 annual report on VPA progress 28.03.2018
- Collaboration en RCA pour la transparence forestière 29.11.2017
- Collaboration in CAR for transparency in the forest sector 29.11.2017
- Briefing: Timber trade flows and investments between China and VPA countries 04.04.2017
- Central African Republic and the EU release 2015 report on VPA progress 19.12.2016