Cameroon has around 20 million hectares of forest, which is almost half of its national territory. Most of this forest area has been permanently allocated to long-term forest production or conservation, with a smaller area intended for community forestry. The forest sector contributes around 6% of GDP. Cameroon is Africa's largest exporter of tropical hardwood to the EU, most of which is sawn timber that goes to Italy and Spain.
Cameroon has signed a VPA with the EU. The aims of the VPA are to strengthen forest governance, promote Cameroon's timber products and improve Cameroon's competitiveness in the international marketplace. The VPA also encourages investment in sustainable forest management and strengthens the capacity of forest stakeholders.
Cameroon is developing the systems needed to control, verify and license legal timber.
For more information, visit the Cameroon FLEGT VPA website.
Voluntary Partnership Agreement status
Cameroon and the EU have both ratified the VPA and are now overseeing implementation of the agreement.
- VPA entry into force: 1 December 2011
- VPA ratified: 1 December 2011
- VPA signed: 6 October 2010
- VPA agreed: 6 May 2010
- Negotiations started: November 2007
News from Cameroon
Visit the Cameroon media room to keep up to date
- Briefing: Timber trade flows and investments between China and VPA countries 04.04.2017
- Cameroon and the EU release 2015 report on VPA progress 20.07.2016
- Short-term technical assistance to the Republic of Cameroon for the implementation of the Legality Verification System in 2016-2017 in the context of the Cameroon-EU APV-FLEGT 06.05.2016
- Legal timber trade with EU can be big business for small companies in Cameroon 18.12.2015
- Cameroon and the EU release 2014 report on VPA progress 10.11.2015
- Cameroon’s multistakeholder working group maintains momentum on VPA implementation 28.07.2014
- VPA practitioners from central Africa share their achievements in public information in the forest sector 18.06.2014
- Cameroon and the EU release 2013 report on VPA progress 13.05.2014
- Cameroon increases transparency in the forest sector 28.04.2014
- Cameroon–EU reports on VPA progress available in English and Spanish 03.04.2014
- Joint implementation committee outlines priorities for Cameroon’s VPA 15.01.2014
- Cameroon and the EU report on VPA progress 10.01.2014
- Committee reviews Cameroon’s progress in certification and anti-corruption 31.07.2013
- EU programme used to offer regional support of VPAs in Africa 10.05.2013
- Priorities set for VPA implementation in Cameroon 04.03.2013
- Cameroon to focus on ‘certificate of legality’ in 2013 24.01.2013
- Cameroon’s working group on corruption and the VPA holds its first meeting 22.12.2012
- EU-Cameroon trade agreement ensures timber legality 06.05.2010
Cameroon-EU Voluntary Partnership Agreement [PDF]